Nutritious Canadian milk
AT A REDUCED COST, EVERY DAY.
FOR PARENTS AND GUARDIANS
School Milk has been supporting nutrition in Nova Scotia schools since 1974.
It is funded in part by your local dairy farmers, dairy processors, and Nova Scotia Department of Agriculture.
It allows students to purchase milk at school at a reduced price.
How much does a small
carton of white milk in Nova Scotia cost?
Buy milk for your child
at school today!
Psst! Not sure if your child’s school has a School Milk Program?
Contact the school. Even if they don’t have a cafeteria,
they might still have a School Milk Program.
Why participate in the School Milk Program?
Nutritious. It’s a protein-rich beverage that is part of a well-balanced lunch.
Reduced Cost. Subsidized in part by local dairy farmers, dairy processors and NS Dept. of Agriculture.
Local. 100% Canadian milk made to high Canadian standards.
Convenient. No need to worry about a container spilling in the lunch box.
Time saver. It’s one less thing to pack for lunch.
For information on the
School Milk Program
in Nova Scotia,
Email [email protected] or visit website
The Nova Scotia School Milk Program has been supporting children and nutrition in public schools since 1974. It is funded in part by your local dairy farmers, dairy processors, and Nova Scotia Department of Agriculture.
We wish to thank all schools who participate in the School Milk Program. The success of this program has been achieved through your commitment and support at the school level. Please express our thanks to all school staff members, caterers and volunteers for their continuing efforts.
- Subsidized in part by local dairy farmers, dairy processors and NS Dept. of Agriculture.
Access to a nutritious beverage
- Milk provides energy and nutrition students need to perform their best at school.
- Children’s diets during school hours are sub-optimal, according to the national 2017 Canadian Community Health Survey.1
- Canada’s Food Guide recommends milk and dairy products as part of the protein foods category. It also recommends white milk as a healthy drink alternative to water.2
Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to build strong bones
- Children who drink milk are more likely to get bone-building nutrients.
- It is difficult to get the daily requirements of calcium and vitamin D without consuming milk or milk products.
Student leadership skills
- The School Milk Program can foster a sense of community and help students who volunteer with the program develop key leadership skills including reliability, organization and relationship-building.
1. Claire Tugault-Lafleur et al., 2017. Full reference: Tugault-Lafleur CN, Black JL, Barr SI. Examining school-day dietary intakes among Canadian children. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2017;42:1064-72.
In Nova Scotia, your school must register for the School Milk Program
to get the subsidized price for white milk.
|Size of serving||Student price|
- Step 1: Review the School Milk Program Registration Package sent out annually in May by the Nova Scotia Department of Agriculture.
- Step 2: Ensure your school completes the registration form. This will allow your school to get the subsidized price for white milk. Note: The school administration needs to complete this form every year, even if there is a caterer in the school.
- Step 3: Set up a payment system.
- Step 4: Take milk orders from students.
- Step 5: Distribute milk to students.
Check out a few easy-to-print resources that make running a School Milk Program a breeze.
Award of Excellence
Use this certificate to show appreciation to students or other volunteers who help run the School Milk Program.Download the Award
Volunteer Recruitment Letter
Send this letter to parents to recruit volunteers for the School Milk Program.
Download the Letter