Nutritious Canadian milk
AT A REDUCED COST, EVERY DAY.
FOR PARENTS AND GUARDIANS
School Milk has been supporting nutrition in New Brunswick schools since 1988.
It is funded in part by your local dairy farmers and dairy processors.
It allows students to purchase milk at school at a reduced price.
How much does a small
carton of milk in New Brunswick cost?
Buy milk for your child
at school today!
Psst! Not sure if your child’s school has a School Milk Program?
Contact the school. Even if they don’t have a cafeteria,
they might still have a School Milk Program.
Why participate in the School Milk Program?
Nutritious. It’s a protein-rich beverage that is part of a well-balanced lunch.
Reduced Cost. Subsidized in part by local dairy farmers and dairy processors.
Local. 100% Canadian milk made to high Canadian standards.
Convenient. No need to worry about a container spilling in the lunch box.
Time saver. It’s one less thing to pack for lunch.
Have questions about the
School Milk Program
in New Brunswick?
Give us a call:1-800-465-2697
The New Brunswick School Milk Program has been supporting children and nutrition in schools since 1988. It is funded in part by your local dairy farmers and dairy processors.
We wish to thank all schools who participate in the School Milk Program. The success of this program has been achieved through your commitment and support at the school level. Please express our thanks to all school staff members, caterers and volunteers for their continuing efforts.
- Subsidized in part by local dairy farmers and dairy processors.
Access to a nutritious beverage
- Milk provides energy and nutrition students need to perform their best at school.
- Children’s diets during school hours are sub-optimal, according to the national 2017 Canadian Community Health Survey.1
- Canada’s Food Guide recommends milk and dairy products as part of the protein foods category. It also recommends white milk as a healthy drink alternative to water.2
Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to build strong bones
- Children who drink milk are more likely to get bone-building nutrients.
- It is difficult to get the daily requirements of calcium and vitamin D without consuming milk or milk products.
Student leadership skills
- The School Milk Program can foster a sense of community and help students who volunteer with the program develop key leadership skills including reliability, organization and relationship-building.
1. Claire Tugault-Lafleur et al., 2017. Full reference: Tugault-Lafleur CN, Black JL, Barr SI. Examining school-day dietary intakes among Canadian children. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2017;42:1064-72.
The New Brunswick Farm Products Commission sets a maximum wholesale
price and a maximum student price each year.
|Maximum wholesale price
|Maximum student price
|1% white or chocolate milk in a
237 mL carton
|1% white or chocolate milk in a
207 mL single serve from a 20 L dispenser
- Step 1: Ensure you have proper fridge space to store milk.
- Step 2: Set up a payment system (daily cash and/or prepayment system).
- Step 3: Take milk orders from students.
- Step 4: Call the dairy processor of your choice (Baxter or Northumberland) to place the order and automatically get the subsidized price.
- Step 5: Store milk order in fridge.
- Step 6: Distribute milk to students at lunchtime.
Check out a few easy-to-print resources that make running a School Milk Program a breeze.