- Types of Ice Cream
- The History of Ice Cream
- How Ice Cream is Made
- How to Store Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Tips & Tricks
- Ice Cream Facts & Fallacies
- Ice Cream Glossary
Ice Cream Tips & Tricks
You can eat ice cream straight from a cone, a bowl or even incorporate it into other treats and desserts. Here are a few handy tips:
- Cold fruit soups are refreshing on warm summer days. For an extra treat, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Add nutritious fruit to your ice cream. Let vanilla ice cream soften slightly and fold in: rhubarb sauce, strawberry sauce, mango sauce, raspberry sauce, etc., then freeze until firm.
- For easy serving when entertaining, pre-scoop ice cream: place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and freeze for about 2 hours or until firm. For longer storage, transfer to an airtight container until you’re ready to serve.
- Get creative with your presentation for ice cream: use a frozen peach half, hollowed orange half, papaya half, coconut half or cream puff. For a crowd, use a hollowed pineapple half or large meringue shell.
- Serve ice cream with Mexican flair – butter a small flour tortilla and sprinkle it with cinnamon, mold over the bottom of a bowl and toast it in the oven until crisp. Let it cool then fill it with ice cream.
- Make a quick Praline Ice Cream Sundae: Toast chopped pecans in a skillet until fragrant and stir in corn syrup and brown sugar. Spoon over a bowl of vanilla ice cream.
- Create your own Iced Café Latte at home: Combine coffee- or vanilla-flavoured ice cream, cold strong-brewed coffee and ice cubes in a blender and blend until slushy.
- This variation on Macaroon balls makes a terrific accompaniment to a slice of cake. Simply roll small scoops of ice cream in toasted shredded coconut and freeze on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet until ready to serve.
- Need a smashing dessert fast? Fill store-bought crepes with chocolate ice cream, drizzle with Kahlua or chocolate sauce and dust with icing sugar
- Applesauce Parfaits can be an ‘any day’ dessert: Layer vanilla ice cream with applesauce, chopped toasted pecans or walnuts and top with whipped cream scented with cinnamon
- For a comforting treat, top vanilla ice cream with apples sautéed in butter and brown sugar. Sprinkle with chopped toasted pecans.
- Quick Tortoni Delight makes a fabulous dessert: For each serving, combine 1 scoop of softened rum-raisin ice cream with 1 small coconut macaroon cookie, crumbled, and fold in 2 tbsp (30 mL) whipped cream. Spoon into paper-lined muffin pans and sprinkle with walnut crumbs. Freeze until firm.
- Short-cut eggnog for the festive season: combine high-quality French vanilla ice cream, milk or light cream, rum extract or rum and refrigerate until ice cream is melted. Whisk or whiz in a blender, pour into chilled glasses and garnish with a pinch of grated nutmeg
- Classic ice cream sodas get a new twist: Combine fruit juice and sparkling water (or use sparkling fruit juice) and add a scoop of ice cream. Serve in a chilled tall glass with a straw, of course.