Cream Tips & Tricks
Want to add the luxurious texture and flavour of cream to your everyday cooking? Here are a few handy tips:
- To add velvety texture to gravy, whisk Whipping, 35% Cooking or 35% Country-style cream until thickened, but not stiff, and stir into gravy just before serving.
- Make a wonderful vanilla-infused cream to use in coffee, desserts such as Easy Crème Brûlée or breakfast recipes like Angels’ French Toast. Place one-quarter of a vanilla bean in 1 cup (250 mL) of any type of cream, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 days or for up to 5 days.
- Pour 15%, 18% or 35% cream into a plastic squeeze bottle and add finely chopped fresh herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle the herbed cream over soups for a stellar restaurant presentation.
- Dress up store-bought or homemade soup by whisking Whipping cream until it’s slightly thickened, then add chopped fresh herbs such as chives, cilantro, basil or mint and drizzle it over a creamed soup just before serving to garnish and add a burst of fresh flavour.
- For a quick, easy and terrific tasting sauce, pan-sear chicken, pork chops or veal cutlets, add Whipping, Cooking or Country-style cream to the pan juices and bring to a boil, then simply season with mustard or fresh herbs.
- Cream can replace coconut milk in recipes: for each cup (250 mL), add 1/4 cup (50 mL) unsweetened shredded coconut to 1 cup (250 mL) Whipping cream or 15% Cooking cream and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before using.
- Add richness, tenderness and moisture to bread dough and other baked goods by replacing the water with cream.
- Make an at-home cappuccino by whipping cream until thickened and stirring it into a steaming cup of regular coffee. Serve sprinkled with cinnamon.
- Create a quick hot fudge sauce to pour over ice cream or as a dessert garnish: heat 1/2 cup (125 mL) 15%, 18% or 35% cream in a saucepan or in the microwave just until steaming and whisk in 2 tbsp (25 mL) finely chopped chocolate until melted. Serve hot.
- Out of eggs? In a pinch for muffins or other quick breads that need 1 egg, substitute 3 tbsp (45 mL) of any type of cream, 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder. Whisk them together and add to the batter.
- For better tasting pasta sauce, stir a drizzle of Whipping cream or 35% Cooking cream or Country-style cream into traditional tomato pasta sauce just before serving.
- For cold dips, substitute equal parts whipped cream and plain yogurt in place of sour cream.
- Make a better tasting, lighter and puffier omelette by whisking Whipping, Cooking or Country-style cream into the eggs before cooking them.
- Sweeten lightly whipped cream with maple syrup or liquid honey for an especially delicious topping for pancakes, waffles or French toast.
- For an even more sublime texture, lightly whip Whipping or 35% Country-style cream until thickened (but not stiff) before adding to pastas, soups and sauces.
- Easily turn simple sorbet into a dessert: fold whipped cream into slightly softened fruit sorbet; spoon into serving dishes and freeze until set. Serve semi-frozen garnished with fresh fruit.
- For most gently cooked pan sauces, Half-and-Half or Blend cream, or Table or Coffee cream can be used in place of Whipping cream. Just whisk 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour or 2 tsp (10 mL) cornstarch into the cream before adding to the pan and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened.
- Make a richer and more satisfying hot chocolate from a powdered mix by replacing one-third of the water with cream.
- Stir cream into your favourite curry at the end of cooking for a smoother and more elegant taste.
- Add warmed cream to mashed potatoes to elevate them to a 5-star restaurant level. You won’t believe how fantastic potatoes can be.
- Avoid store-bought fruit dips made with mysterious ingredients. Instead, sweeten whipped cream with maple syrup, honey or jam and spoon it into small bowls or ramekins. Serve with a plate of fresh fruit for dipping.
- Make ordinary coffee or tea a special experience by infusing cream with subtle, exotic flavours:
- Add a cinnamon stick, crushed cardamom pods, vanilla beans, crystallized ginger (or your favourite combination) to cream, cover and refrigerate for about 1 day.
- Remove spices and whip chilled cream to soft peaks; sweeten, if desired.
- Serve flavoured whipped cream in small bowls for your guests to top their coffee or tea.
- Higher fat creams can easily be used in place of lower fat cream in most recipes.