Did you know Canadian Parmesan is covered with one very hard rind. How hard? According to both cheese and ballistics experts, it is practically bulletproof!More about Hard Less about Hard
Due to the lengthy aging time required in the making of Hard cheeses, they lose a lot of humidity. The result is cheeses with sharp, complex flavours, as well as dry, hard textures. This process makes Canadian Hard cheeses terrific for grating and eating.
Stored properly, the low moisture content of Canadian Hard cheeses allows them to keep in the refrigerator for up to ten months.
Proper storage includes making sure that the wrapping adheres well to the cheese to prevent it from drying out. Store your cheeses in the refrigerator’s vegetable drawer. If storing for long periods, change wrapping frequently, as Hard cheeses can absorb the strong odours of other refrigerator items, including certain vegetables.
Plastic wrap is the most versatile, accessible and efficient way to preserve cheese freshness. It also provides the tightest seal to protect from moisture, odours and possibly mould in the fridge. Vacuum packs are another good option when storing Hard cheeses in the refrigerator. With washed-rind cheeses, use breathable wrap like waxed paper to allow oxygen to work with the bacteria.
Most cheeses can be frozen, but it is important to keep in mind that freezing can affect texture and character. This is why thawed cheeses are best reserved for use in cooking. Neither the taste nor texture of meals cooked with previously frozen cheeses will be affected.
You can freeze Hard cheeses, in pieces of 500 g or less, for up to two months! Just carefully wrap cheese in plastic wrap and place in an airtight freezer bag or vacuum pack. Before using, it is important to allow cheese to thaw slowly in the refrigerator.
- Asiago - ADL Asiago - ADL
- Asiago - Thornloe Asiago - Thornloe
- Asiago - Tre Stelle Asiago - Tre Stelle
- Delectable Parmesan - The Village Cheese Company Delectable Parmesan - The Village Cheese Company
- Glengarry Fen Glengarry Fen
- Grizzly Grizzly
- Handeck Handeck
- Old Growler Old Growler
- Parmesan - Biobio Parmesan - Biobio
- Parmesan - Empire Parmesan - Empire
- Parmesan - Jolly Parmesan - Jolly
- Parmesan - L'Ancêtre Parmesan - L'Ancêtre
- Parmesan - Riviera Parmesan - Riviera
- Parmesan - Tre Stelle Parmesan - Tre Stelle
- Parmesan Organic Old Style - La Chaudière Parmesan Organic Old Style - La Chaudière
- ParmesRan Medium - Fox Hill ParmesRan Medium - Fox Hill
- Temiskaming Temiskaming