The "eyes" or holes in Swiss, which fascinate children, sometimes ooze with some of the cheese’s oils. This process, along with adding to the cheese's interest, is a sure sign of freshness.More about Swiss Less about Swiss
A fond favourite for generations, Canadian Swiss cheese has a delicate, slightly nutty flavour. This family embodies a collection of well-known Firm cheeses, from Emmental to Gruyère, in which "eyes” form during ripening.
Swiss and Firm cheeses in general, will keep in the refrigerator for more or less 5 weeks. In fact, storage allows this cheese to further ripen and develop in flavour.
Proper storage includes making sure that the wrapping adheres well to the cheese to prevent it from drying out. Keep cheeses on a lower shelf of your refrigerator, far from foods with strong odours, to avoid absorption of unwanted tastes and smells. If you follow these guidelines, your refrigerator’s vegetable drawer will be a good storage spot.
Plastic wrap is the most versatile, accessible and efficient way to preserve cheese freshness. It also provides the tightest seal to protect from moisture, odours and possibly mould in the fridge. Vacuum packs are another good option when storing Swiss cheese in the refrigerator.
Most cheeses can be frozen, but it is important to keep in mind that freezing can affect texture and character. This is why thawed cheeses are best reserved for use in cooking. Neither the taste nor texture of meals cooked with previously frozen cheeses will be affected.
You can freeze Swiss cheese, in pieces of 500 g or less, for up to two months! Just carefully wrap cheese in plastic wrap and place in an airtight freezer bag or vacuum pack. Before using, it is important to allow cheese to thaw slowly in the refrigerator.
Some Firm cheeses, such as Cheddar, Swiss and Emmental, store very well in the freezer after they have been grated.
- 1812 1812
- 5 Brothers 5 Brothers
- Beau's Beau's
- Belle Brune De Charlevoix (La) Belle Brune De Charlevoix (La)
- Charlevoix Emmental & Beer Fondue Charlevoix Emmental & Beer Fondue
- Emmental - Riviera Emmental - Riviera
- Fleur de Weedon Fleur de Weedon
- Frère Jacques Frère Jacques
- Handeck Handeck
- Heidi - Farm House Heidi - Farm House
- Louis D'Or Louis D'Or
- Moine (Le) Moine (Le)
- Mont Saint-Benoît Mont Saint-Benoît
- Oxford's Harvest Oxford's Harvest
- Rathtrevor Rathtrevor
- Saint-Augustin Saint-Augustin
- Swiss (The) - Perron Swiss (The) - Perron
- Swiss - Biobio Swiss - Biobio
- Swiss - Bothwell Swiss - Bothwell
- Swiss - Champêtre Swiss - Champêtre
- Swiss - Empire Swiss - Empire