Apparently, Cheese makers judge the quality of a wheel of Gouda by the sound made when struck with the index finger. If it makes the same sound a plank would, it is perfect!More about Gouda Less about Gouda
Generally wrapped in paraffin wax, the cheese body is often pale yellow and dotted with tiny holes, and tastes of almonds and cream. Gouda is produced in this plain form, but can also be found flavoured or smoked.
Gouda and Firm cheeses in general, will keep in the refrigerator for more or less 5 weeks. In fact, storage allows this cheese to further ripen and develop in flavour.
Proper storage includes making sure that the wrapping adheres well to the cheese to prevent it from drying out. Keep cheeses on a lower shelf of your refrigerator, far from foods with strong odours, to avoid absorption of unwanted tastes and smells. If you follow these guidelines, your refrigerator’s vegetable drawer will be a good storage spot.
Plastic wrap is the most versatile, accessible and efficient way to preserve cheese freshness. It also provides the tightest seal to protect from moisture, odours and possibly mould in the fridge. Vacuum packs are another good option when storing Gouda cheese in the refrigerator.
Most cheeses can be frozen, but it is important to keep in mind that freezing can affect texture and character. This is why thawed cheeses are best reserved for use in cooking. Neither the taste nor texture of meals cooked with previously frozen cheeses will be affected.
You can freeze Gouda cheese, in pieces of 500 g or less, for up to two months! Just carefully wrap cheese in plastic wrap and place in an airtight freezer bag or vacuum pack. Before using, it is important to allow cheese to thaw slowly in the refrigerator.
- Black Pepper - Mountainoak Black Pepper - Mountainoak
- Black Truffle - Mountainoak Black Truffle - Mountainoak
- Chili Pepper - Mountainoak Chili Pepper - Mountainoak
- Cumin - Mountainoak Cumin - Mountainoak
- Farmstead Premium Dutch GOLD - Mountainoak Farmstead Premium Dutch GOLD - Mountainoak
- Friesian - Mountainoak Friesian - Mountainoak
- Gouda - Armadale Gouda - Armadale
- Gouda - Biobio Gouda - Biobio
- Gouda - Bothwell Gouda - Bothwell
- Gouda - Farm House Gouda - Farm House
- Gouda - Fox Hill Gouda - Fox Hill
- Gouda - Jolly Gouda - Jolly
- Gouda - Sylvan Star Gouda - Sylvan Star
- Gouda - That Dutchman's Gouda - That Dutchman's
- Gouda - The Village Cheese Company Gouda - The Village Cheese Company
- Gouda Aged - Sylvan Star Gouda Aged - Sylvan Star
- Gouda Extra Aged - Grass Root Gouda Extra Aged - Grass Root
- Gouda Medium - Golden Ears Gouda Medium - Golden Ears
- Gouda Medium - Sylvan Star Gouda Medium - Sylvan Star
- Gouda Mild - Bergeron Gouda Mild - Bergeron
- Gouda Mild - Smits & Co.w Gouda Mild - Smits & Co.w