In Canada, most of the Cheddar produced is made in Ontario.More about Mild Cheddar Less about Mild Cheddar
About Mild Cheddar
Ripened for 3 months, this Cheddar is mellow in taste and smooth in texture. Both Mild and Medium Cheddars are ideal for garnish, snacks, as well as in the preparation of lighter fare like omelets or sandwiches.
Cheddar and Firm cheeses in general, will keep in the refrigerator for more or less 5 weeks. In fact, storage allows this cheese to further ripen and develop in flavour.
Proper storage includes making sure that the wrapping adheres well to the cheese to prevent it from drying out. Keep cheeses on a lower shelf of your refrigerator, far from foods with strong odours, to avoid absorption of unwanted tastes and smells. If you follow these guidelines, your refrigerator’s vegetable drawer will be a good storage spot.
Plastic wrap is the most versatile, accessible and efficient way to preserve cheese freshness. It also provides the tightest seal to protect from moisture, odours and possibly mould in the fridge. Vacuum packs are another good option when storing Cheddar cheese in the refrigerator.
Most cheeses can be frozen, but it is important to keep in mind that freezing can affect texture and character. This is why thawed cheeses are best reserved for use in cooking. Neither the taste nor texture of meals cooked with previously frozen cheeses will be affected.
You can freeze Cheddar cheese, in pieces of 500 g or less, for up to two months! Just carefully wrap cheese in plastic wrap and place in an airtight freezer bag or vacuum pack. Before using, it is important to allow cheese to thaw slowly in the refrigerator.
Some Firm cheeses, such as Cheddar, Swiss and Emmental, store very well in the freezer after they have been grated.
- Cheddar (Le) - Blackburn Cheddar (Le) - Blackburn
- Cheddar - Champêtre Cheddar - Champêtre
- Cheddar Curds - Armadale Cheddar Curds - Armadale
- Cheddar Curds - Black River Cheddar Curds - Black River
- Cheddar Curds - Boivin Cheddar Curds - Boivin
- Cheddar Curds - Champêtre Cheddar Curds - Champêtre
- Cheddar Curds - Empire Cheddar Curds - Empire
- Cheddar Curds - Riviera Cheddar Curds - Riviera
- Cheddar Curds - St-Fidèle Cheddar Curds - St-Fidèle
- Cheddar Flavoured - Pine River Cheddar Flavoured - Pine River
- Cheddar Flavoured - St-Albert Cheddar Flavoured - St-Albert
- Cheddar Fresh - Black River Cheddar Fresh - Black River
- Cheddar Horseradish - Bothwell Cheddar Horseradish - Bothwell
- Cheddar Horseradish Flavoured - Ivanhoe Cheddar Horseradish Flavoured - Ivanhoe
- Cheddar Light - Bothwell Cheddar Light - Bothwell
- Cheddar Light Mild Organic - L'Ancêtre Cheddar Light Mild Organic - L'Ancêtre
- Cheddar Maple - The Village Cheese Company Cheddar Maple - The Village Cheese Company
- Cheddar Marble - ADL Cheddar Marble - ADL
- Cheddar Marble - Maple Dale Cheddar Marble - Maple Dale
- Cheddar Marble - Tre Stelle Cheddar Marble - Tre Stelle
- Cheddar Mild - ADL Cheddar Mild - ADL