Canada produces some of the best Cheddar in the world. The climate, soil, pasture, cattle stock, and milk quality separate the superior Canadian Cheddars from the ordinary.More about Aged Cheddar Less about Aged Cheddar
About Aged Cheddar
Ripening from 2 to 10 years gives this Cheddar its very rich, pronounced flavour and dry, crumbly texture. Aged Cheddar pairs well with many different wines. In cooking, it is best used when baking casseroles or making rich, creamy sauces or soups.
Cheddar and Firm cheeses in general, will keep in the refrigerator for more or less 5 weeks. In fact, storage allows this cheese to further ripen and develop in flavour.
Proper storage includes making sure that the wrapping adheres well to the cheese to prevent it from drying out. Keep cheeses on a lower shelf of your refrigerator, far from foods with strong odours, to avoid absorption of unwanted tastes and smells. If you follow these guidelines, your refrigerator’s vegetable drawer will be a good storage spot.
Plastic wrap is the most versatile, accessible and efficient way to preserve cheese freshness. It also provides the tightest seal to protect from moisture, odours and possibly mould in the fridge. Vacuum packs are another good option when storing Cheddar cheese in the refrigerator.
Most cheeses can be frozen, but it is important to keep in mind that freezing can affect texture and character. This is why thawed cheeses are best reserved for use in cooking. Neither the taste nor texture of meals cooked with previously frozen cheeses will be affected.
You can freeze Cheddar cheese, in pieces of 500 g or less, for up to two months! Just carefully wrap cheese in plastic wrap and place in an airtight freezer bag or vacuum pack. Before using, it is important to allow cheese to thaw slowly in the refrigerator.
Some Firm cheeses, such as Cheddar, Swiss and Emmental, store very well in the freezer after they have been grated.
- Appletree Smoked Appletree Smoked
- Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar
- Cheddar 2 year - Thornloe Cheddar 2 year - Thornloe
- Cheddar 2-Year-Old - ADL Cheddar 2-Year-Old - ADL
- Cheddar Aged (2 And 4 Years Doyen) - Perron Cheddar Aged (2 And 4 Years Doyen) - Perron
- Cheddar Aged - Golden Ears Cheddar Aged - Golden Ears
- Cheddar Aged - Riviera Cheddar Aged - Riviera
- Cheddar Aged 2 Years - Île-aux-Grues Cheddar Aged 2 Years - Île-aux-Grues
- Cheddar Aged 3 To 5 Years Organic - L'Ancêtre Cheddar Aged 3 To 5 Years Organic - L'Ancêtre
- Cheddar Extra Old (5 Years) - St-Albert Cheddar Extra Old (5 Years) - St-Albert
- Cheddar Extra Old - Black River Cheddar Extra Old - Black River
- Cheddar Extra Old - Jensen Cheddar Extra Old - Jensen
- Cheddar Extra Old - Maple Dale Cheddar Extra Old - Maple Dale
- Cheddar Extra Old - Wilton Cheddar Extra Old - Wilton
- Cheddar Extra Sharp - Biobio Cheddar Extra Sharp - Biobio
- Cheddar Extra Sharp - Boivin Cheddar Extra Sharp - Boivin
- Cheddar Extra Sharp - Jolly Cheddar Extra Sharp - Jolly
- Cheddar Extra-Sharp - L'Ancêtre Cheddar Extra-Sharp - L'Ancêtre
- Cheddar Organic Old Style Extra Sharp - La Chaudière Cheddar Organic Old Style Extra Sharp - La Chaudière
- Cheddar Two Year Old - Fox Hill Cheddar Two Year Old - Fox Hill
- Cheddar With Brambasia Liqueur - Perron Cheddar With Brambasia Liqueur - Perron