The ambassador for Canadian excellence in cheeses - from snack to macaroni and cheese, Cheddar is versatile, delicious and one of the most popular-selling cheeses in the world.More about Cheddar Less about Cheddar
Canada's finest Cheddar is prized internationally as the best in the world. Usually ivory-coloured, the body can also be bright orange. Mostly rindless, larger Cheddars can have a yellowish-white or orange rind. Depending on age, Cheddar can be mellow, milky and slightly acidulous (mild), slightly sharp and acidulous with nutty undertones (medium), or highly complex and sharp (aged).
Cheddar and Firm cheeses in general, will keep in the refrigerator for more or less 5 weeks. In fact, storage allows this cheese to further ripen and develop in flavour.
Proper storage includes making sure that the wrapping adheres well to the cheese to prevent it from drying out. Keep cheeses on a lower shelf of your refrigerator, far from foods with strong odours, to avoid absorption of unwanted tastes and smells. If you follow these guidelines, your refrigerator’s vegetable drawer will be a good storage spot.
Plastic wrap is the most versatile, accessible and efficient way to preserve cheese freshness. It also provides the tightest seal to protect from moisture, odours and possibly mould in the fridge. Vacuum packs are another good option when storing Cheddar cheese in the refrigerator.
Most cheeses can be frozen, but it is important to keep in mind that freezing can affect texture and character. This is why thawed cheeses are best reserved for use in cooking. Neither the taste nor texture of meals cooked with previously frozen cheeses will be affected.
You can freeze Cheddar cheese, in pieces of 500 g or less, for up to two months! Just carefully wrap cheese in plastic wrap and place in an airtight freezer bag or vacuum pack. Before using, it is important to allow cheese to thaw slowly in the refrigerator.
Some Firm cheeses, such as Cheddar, Swiss and Emmental, store very well in the freezer after they have been grated.
- 7% - Biobio 7% - Biobio
- Appletree Smoked Appletree Smoked
- Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar
- Cheddar (Le) - Blackburn Cheddar (Le) - Blackburn
- Cheddar - Champêtre Cheddar - Champêtre
- Cheddar 1 year - Thornloe Cheddar 1 year - Thornloe
- Cheddar 2 year - Thornloe Cheddar 2 year - Thornloe
- Cheddar 2-Year-Old - ADL Cheddar 2-Year-Old - ADL
- Cheddar Aged (1 Year) - Perron Cheddar Aged (1 Year) - Perron
- Cheddar Aged (2 And 4 Years Doyen) - Perron Cheddar Aged (2 And 4 Years Doyen) - Perron
- Cheddar Aged - Golden Ears Cheddar Aged - Golden Ears
- Cheddar Aged - Riviera Cheddar Aged - Riviera
- Cheddar Aged - The Village Cheese Company Cheddar Aged - The Village Cheese Company
- Cheddar Aged 1 And 2 Years Organic - L'Ancêtre Cheddar Aged 1 And 2 Years Organic - L'Ancêtre
- Cheddar Aged 1 Year - Île-aux-Grues Cheddar Aged 1 Year - Île-aux-Grues
- Cheddar Aged 2 Years - Île-aux-Grues Cheddar Aged 2 Years - Île-aux-Grues
- Cheddar Aged 3 To 5 Years Organic - L'Ancêtre Cheddar Aged 3 To 5 Years Organic - L'Ancêtre
- Cheddar Aged 6 Months - Île-aux-Grues Cheddar Aged 6 Months - Île-aux-Grues
- Cheddar Cranberry - Fox Hill Cheddar Cranberry - Fox Hill
- Cheddar Curds - Armadale Cheddar Curds - Armadale
- Cheddar Curds - Black River Cheddar Curds - Black River