What is this program all about?
A lot of families are not aware that the milk they drink everyday and at breakfast actually comes from a real cow on a farm in Canada.
The Dairy Farmers of Canada From Farm to Table Experience strives to educate families about life on a farm, the dairy process and how their milk gets From Farm to Table. Families are able to interact with Mooonica, a life-size mechanical cow, making the learning process fun.
Learn more about Dairy Farmers of Canada From Farm to Table Experience with Mooonica.Learn More
The Event in Action!
- Fun Fact #1: Dairy farmers care about their animals. A healthy, comfortable cow produces more milk.
- Fun Fact #2: Dairy cows produce milk once they have a baby (a calf) and can give milk for approximately 10 months.
- Fun Fact #3: Cows produce more milk than a calf needs, and for a longer period, so humans can profit from an excellent source of nutrition.
- Fun Fact #4: Like all mammals, males do not produce milk. They are called bulls.
- Fun Fact #5: The most common breed of dairy cows in Canada is the Holstein.
- Fun Fact #6: Holstein cows are black and white and each cow has a unique pattern.
Fun Fact #7:
A Holstein calf weighs 36 – 50 kg (80 – 110 lbs) at birth.
A mature Holstein cow weighs 590 – 680 kg (1300 – 1500 lbs)!
- Fun Fact #8: Cows eat about 35 kg (77 lbs) of food a day and drink a bathtub full of water!
- Fun Fact #9: A cow has 4 stomachs and 32 teeth.
- Fun Fact #10: Dairy cows love to lie down. They can spend 10 – 12 hours of their time lying down.