- Course Main Dishes
- Prep. Time 12 mins
- Cooking Time 10 mins
- Yields 4 servings
Fresh tomato 'pomodoro' sauces are classic Italian restaurant fare. Here it is combined with creamy Canadian cheese and chicken for the ultimate delicious meal. If desired, sprinkle with chopped fresh chives.
Feta Cheese won in the semi-soft cheese category of the 8th Canadian Cheese Grand Prix.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water; cook linguine according to package directions, until al dente; drain well. Return to pot and toss with 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter and Canadian Parmesan cheese.
Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; melt remaining butter. Stir in chicken, basil, garlic, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt and pepper to taste; cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned and no longer pink inside. Reduce heat to medium; add tomatoes and heat through, 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste.
Divide pasta among shallow serving bowls and spoon sauce over top. Sprinkle with Canadian Mozzarella cheese.
Plum tomatoes are meaty and less juicy than the round variety and are a good choice. If the tomatoes are acidic, stir in sugar to taste.
- For an economical meatless alternative, omit chicken. Cook garlic and seasonings until fragrant. Stir in 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed or 2 cans (each about 6 oz/170g) tuna packed in water, drained. Proceed with the recipe.
- For added nutritional value, be sure to read the label and select pasta that has been enriched with B-vitamins and iron or try whole grain pasta.
- Purchase dried herbs from the bulk section; this allows you to buy exactly what you need. Store in a dark, dry place. To get the most out of dried herbs, crumble them between your fingers to release the aromatic compounds.
- Try this with crumbled Canadian Feta instead of Mozzarella.
- For an exciting flavour, replace dried basil with 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh slivered basil. Stir in chopped fresh spinach or thawed frozen peas with the tomatoes.
- Add 1/4 cup (60 mL) white wine with the chicken and seasonings.
- Turn this meal into an Italian night. Set out a checkered tablecloth, candles and wine glasses for milk. For some family fun, use Italian words, such as 'buon giorno, buon appetito' around the dinner table conversation and of course, play Italian opera music.
- Get the children involved and grow fresh herbs, they add excitement to a meal.
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
100% Canadian milk produces award winning cheese. Meet some of the winners from the 2011 Canadian Cheese Grand Prix.see all the reasons